Rapoport adds that Freeney reportedly “likes” the Broncos, Dolphins and Lions.
- Michelle Beisner reports that the Broncos have made a “hard push” to sign Freeney, but his ask price is apparently what is holding up an agreement.
- Beisner adds that Freeney is targeting an annual base salary of $6 million and is in no rush to get a deal done.
- Freeney could holdout until training camp before signing with someone.
- Beisner also mentions that the Broncos are no longer interested in John Abraham.
Freeney, 33, will have a hard time securing that kind of money considering what Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett signed for. On top of that, free agency has already begun to slow down and teams will have an opportunity to draft someone in the next few weeks.
We have Freeney listed as the No. 3 player in our Top 50 Free Agents list.
- The Dolphins reportedly have “some interest” in Freeney as well, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, via Rotoworld.
Pittsburgh was reportedly interested in Elvis Dumervil as well, before he signed with the Ravens. A recent report mentioned that they’ve closed the door regarding James Harrison, so we’ll have to see if they continue to target an outside linebacker in free agency.
It’s interesting to hear teams like the Steelers and Saints being options for Freeney given that he wasn’t able to be as effective as a 3-4 outside linebacker last season. Still, the general consensus is that he will most likely end up signing with the Broncos at some point.
- Rapoport mentions that the Saints could increase their pursuit of Freeney if they end up missing out on CB Nnamdi Asomugha.
- Freeney’s role would most likely be limited to a situational pass rusher given that he would be playing in a 3-4 base defense.
- Mike Klis reports that Freeney has been in talks with the Broncos, but a deal is not imminent at this point in time.
The Broncos are believed to have Freeney as their main target now that Elvis Dumervil signed with the Ravens.
Klis adds that they would only pursue a deal with Abraham if they “can’t reach agreement with Freeney.”
Peyton Manning was believed to be trying to lure Freeney to Denver over a month ago and both players visited with the Broncos on Thursday.
The Patriots are believed to have interest in them as well, but there’s been very little movement in recent days. Given that the free agent market is starting to dry up, I’m sure both players can be had at a reduced price.
Freeney, 33, is a year younger and has tallied 107.5 career sacks over the course of 11 seasons.