Home / Broncos / Broncos & Von Miller Have Spoken In Recent Days, Talks Expected To Pick Up This Week

Broncos & Von Miller Have Spoken In Recent Days, Talks Expected To Pick Up This Week

Update:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Broncos GM John Elway personally called Von Miller over the July 4 weekend to personally express his desire to get a long-term extension in place before the upcoming deadline.

According to Schefter, Elway and Miller are believed to have spoken for 10-15 minutes on the phone this past weekend with Elway telling him they “still love him and still want to re-sign him.”

Elway also told Miller of his plans to reach out to his agent this week in the hope of jump starting contract negotiations.

———–

Mike Klis of 9 News reports that Von Miller has spoken directly to Broncos GM John Elway three times in recent weeks. However, the two sides haven’t discussed contract figures since June 7.

Klis confirms that Denver is hopeful a deal can be reached before the July 15th deadline. Sources have told Klis that the Broncos would not entertain the possibility of rescinding their franchise tag or making Miller available for trade.

———-

Jason Cole of B/R confirms that the Broncos and franchise OLB Von Miller could resume this week.

Sources tell Cole that the Broncos reached out to Miller’s camp last week and there’s at least some hope that the team could submit Miller a new contract offer at some point in the near future.

However, Cole says that unless the Broncos’ new offer includes over $60 million guaranteed, it’s unlikely Miller would accept it.

Beyond that, Cole adds that the possibility of Miller sitting out the 2016 season is still in play if they can’t reach an agreement before the upcoming deadline.

———

Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that the Broncos and franchise OLB Von Miller have had “communication” in recent days.

  • According to Caplan, is wouldn’t be surprising if the two sides spoken again later in the week.

While this isn’t major news, it’s certainly a positive sign, especially considering that Josina Anderson of ESPN reported last week that there had not been any conversations between the two parties since the early part of June.

Denver shifted gears after they were unable to get an agreement in place with Miller before the start of minicamp.

Since then, the Broncos have locked up LB Brandon Marshall to an extension and have even exchanged contract proposals with WR Emmanuel Sanders.

It’s worth mentioning that the Broncos still have another three weeks to get an extension in place with Miller before the July 15 deadline.

The two sides reportedly still have a gap to bridge in regards to the guaranteed money included in Miller’s next contract along with the overall structure of the contract.

Miller mentioned last week that while he loves his teammates, coaches, and fans, “there is no chance” of him playing out the 2016 season under the franchise tag.

I love my Teammates, Coaches, and My Fans” but there is “No Chance” I play the 2016 season under the Franchise tag,” Miller wrote.

Miller, 26, is a former first-round pick of the Broncos back in 2011. After playing out his rookie deal, Denver picked up his fifth-year option and later used their franchise tag on Miller this offseason.

He’s now in line to make $15.701 million fully guaranteed for the 2016 season. However, this won’t prevent them from negotiating a long-term deal that would reduce this figure and offer them some additional cap space.

In 2015, Miller appeared all 16 games and recorded 35 tackles, 11 sacks, three fumble recoveries and four forced fumbles. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 2 outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense out of 53 qualifying players.

We’ll have more regarding a possible extension for Miller as the news is available.