Klis says that Sanders is likely the next player to be addressed by the Broncos now that they’ve locked up LB Brandon Marshall to a new four-year, $32 million extension.
Denver shifted gears to some of their other players in recent days after they weren’t able to get a long-term extension in place for franchise OLB Von Miller before the start of training camp.
The Broncos do, however, have until July 15 to get an agreement in place with Miller or he’ll have to play out the season under the franchise tag.
Sanders has said previously that his “heart is in Denver” and he’s hoping to retire as a Bronco.
“Obviously, my heart is in Denver, this city has been so good to me beyond what I can explain,” Sanders said. “From the Broncos Huddle, being with you, to going out and seeing in my first year having so many jerseys, and having so many fans out here in this market. It’s just great to me.
“Who knows what’s going to happen with the contract situation. I want to retire a Bronco. I think everyone wants to know, but it’s all about being able to say, ‘I’m getting paid what I put out.’’
Sanders, 29, Sanders, 29, is a former third-round pick of the Steelers back in 2010. After playing out his rookie contract, Sanders signed a three-year, $15 million contract that included $6 million guaranteed.
He’s currently in the final year of the agreement and stands to make a base salary of $5 million for the 2016 season.
In 2015, Sanders appeared in 15 games for the Broncos and recorded 76 receptions for, 1,135 yards receiving and six touchdowns. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 10 receiver out of 121 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding a new contract for Sanders as the news is available.