Browns HC Mike Pettine told Mary Kay Cabot on Monday that they have no intention of releasing WR Josh Gordon, and instead expect him to be at training camp this Friday.
“We’re expecting him to report on Friday and be on the field,” Pettine said. “We have no plans to cut him I know there’s been a lot of debate over that, but I don’t see us having that debate.”
The Browns are reportedly trying to get him the help he needs to turn things around.
“If any of our players are in need of help, we’ll do our best to provide it for them and also that we’re going to do what we feel is best for the organization,’‘ he said. “By league guidelines, whatever help we can provide him, we’re going to do it.”
Pettine added that replacing Gordon will be a tall task, even though he likes what he has seen from veterans Miles Austin and Andrew Hawkins.
“I don’t think you replace Josh, a guy of his caliber,” Pettine said. “If you just look at what he did last year, he’s arguably one of the top three receivers in the league. You can easily make that argument. You’re not going to find somebody, so you just have to get creative in how you do it.”
Gordon is still only 23 years old, and incredibly talented. Even if he were to receive a full year suspension, he would return to the league as a 24-year old, presumably with one less year of wear and tear.
Last year, Gordon caught 87 receptions for 1,646 yards receiving and and nine touchdowns over the course of 14 games.