Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said on Wednesday that “no one” is expected to return from the team’s injured reserve this season.
“None of the guys on IR have made expected progress in rehab, so as of today, no one is expected to return this season,” said Arians, via Darren Urban.
Last month, Arians indicated that he “doubts” that Johnson will be able to return this season, while GM Steve Keim was noncommital towards the star running back. (NFLTR)
Johnson, 25, was taken in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft by the Cardinals. He’s currently in the second year of his four-year, $2.992 million contract and stands to make base salaries of $615,000 and $705,000 over the next two years.
In 2017, Johnson has appeared in one game and rushed for 23 yards on 11 carries to go along with six receptions for 67 yards receiving.
As for Palmer, he sustained a broken arm last month and was given an eight-week timetable of recovery. It appears that he, unfortunately, will not be able to return this season.
Palmer, 37, was in the third year of his four-year, $58.5 million contract and set to make a base salary of $6.35 million for the 2016 season when the Cardinals signed him to a one-year extension worth $24.35 million before the start of the season.
In 2017, Palmer has appeared in six games and thrown for 1,856 yards while completing 61.8 percent of his passes to go along with nine touchdowns and six interceptions. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 15 quarterback out of 34 qualifying players.