Instead, Canter mentioned that Weddle is looking forward to playing out his contract with the Chargers and testing the open market next year.
“He’ll be excited about playing this year and then hit free agency,” Canter said on Monday.
According to Canter, the Chargers informed him that they will not discuss a new contract for Weddle this year.
“We’re disappointed and will continue to be disappointed,” Canter added. “But Eric will go all out this season.”
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media previously reported that Weddle will not be in attendance for the start of Organized Team Activities.
Chargers GM Tom Telesco told reporters before the draft that they are a better football team with Weddle, and they’re hoping to get something done with him soon enough.
“He’s a major part of our football team,” Telesco said. “He’s an excellent football player, and sure, our future would have him involved, there’s no doubt. We’re a better football team with him.”
However, it appears as though they’re comfortable allowing Weddle to play out his deal before broaching the idea of a contract extension.
Weddle, 30, is entering the final year of his five-year, $40 million contract that included $19 million guaranteed. He stands to make a base salary of $7.5 million for the 2015 season.
In 2014, Weddle appeared in all 16 games and recorded 114 tackles, one interception, two forced fumbles and eight pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 1 safety out of 87 qualifying players.