Adam Beasley reports that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and GM Chris Grier met with Patriots DC Brian Flores for several hours on Friday and came away impressed.
According to Beasley, Flores may have been Grier’s favorite coaching candidate all along, as a league source tells him that Grier has long thought highly of New England’s linebackers coach.
A separate source tells Beasley that Flores is near if not at the top of the Dolphins’ list.
- Jason La Canfora also says he wouldn’t be surprised if Fores ends up as the Dolphins’ next head coach.
- Manish Mehta reports that while the Jets obviously are not tipping their hand, the perception of two other teams looking for head coaches is that Baylor HC Matt Rhule is Jets’ guy.
- Reports have said that the Packers are likely to keep DC Mike Pettine and his defensive staff in place after hiring Matt LaFleur as the team’s next head coach. (NFLTR)
- Rob Demovsky reports that LaFleur is also expected to consider keeping Packers interim head coach Joe Philbin on staff as well.
- Demovsky notes that LaFleur, Philbin and Pettine all are represented by the same agent.