Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star takes a look at the Colts situation as the prepare for the offseason and their 23 players with expiring contracts.
Vontae Davis is the most notable of the Colts free agents.
According to Chappell, Davis figures to be among the team’s top priorities and is a “heavy favorite” to be re-signed. Chappell also points to the fact that GM Ryan Grigson sent the Dolphins a second-round pick as another reason for getting a contract extension worked out with Davis.
Davis, 25, was clearly the Colts best defensive back this season and was rated as the No. 3 cornerback by Pro Football Focus. As of now, we have eight cornerbacks in our Top 50 Free Agents list, so there is a chance that the number of available options at the position could impact their asking price to some degree.
We have Davis listed as the No. 27 player in our Top 50 Free Agents list.
Chappell mentions that S Antoine Bethea is “probably the toughest decision for GM Ryan Grigson.” Chappell points to the fact that Bethea will be 30-years-old and already has a “ton of wear on his tires.”
Chappell believes his chances of re-signing with Indianapolis is a “50-50 at best.“
Bethea, 29, is a two time Pro Bowl selection who produced 121 tackles for the Colts defense this season. Bethea mentioned that he would like finish out his career in Indy, but left the door open to leaving.
“Free agency, man, it’s here,” Bethea said. “My first time really testing the market, so I’m kind of excited. I want to finish my career here, but if not, got to go on and start a new chapter in my career.”
Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 53 safety out of 84 qualifying players, so there are some concerns regarding his coverage ability moving forward.
- Chappell expects the Colts to make RB Donald Brown a “reasonable offer,” but doesn’t see them overpaying to keep with with Vick Ballard and Trent Richardson still under contract.
- Veteran K Adam Vinatieri is also a free agent and hasn’t shown any signs of a significant decline. Chappell believes they should make him an “honest offer.“
- RB Ahmad Bradshaw is unlikely to return next season, according to Chappell.
- Chappell mentions that LB Pat Angerer may have played his last snap for the Colts.
- Chappell only sees G Mike McGlynn returning for a “modest contract” and being asked to play a versatile role for the team’s offensive line.