Home / Giants / Jason Pierre-Paul Likely To Miss First 6 Games On Non-Football Injury List?

Jason Pierre-Paul Likely To Miss First 6 Games On Non-Football Injury List?

Update:

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Jason Pierre-Paul is not expected to sign his franchise tender “until he’s ready to play.”

  • According to Rapoport, this would prevent the Giants from placing him on the non-football injury list.
  • Rapoport adds that it’s “very possible” JPP could be ready for the start of the season, even after his recent hand injury.
  • Rapoport mentions that there was no guarantee that Pierre-Paul was going to be attendance for the start of training camp, even before the injury.

This news comes in contrast to prior reports that Pierre-Paul was likely to miss the first six weeks of the season while on NFI list.

Jordan Raanan of NJ.com offered a great look at what the NFI list would mean for the Giants and JPP earlier in the day.

———–

Coral Spring Police Department are now saying that they’re no longer are investigating Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul for potential criminal charges unless new information surfaces, per J.P. Pelzman.

Coral Spring Captain Brad McKeon said that they’ve determined the incident did not take place within their jurisdiction, per Pelzman.

———–

The Coral Springs (Fla.) Police Department are investigating the fireworks accident involving Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul, and the possibility exists that he could face charges that including criminal possession of fireworks, according to Jordan Raanan of NJ.com.

Raanan mentions that Police believe the fireworks may have been discharged at a Coral Springs home owned by one of Pierre-Paul’s relatives. However, police still aren’t 100 percent certain of what happened in Coral Springs.

A complaint was filed by someone who lives down the street from Pierre-Paul’s relative, but police aren’t sure if this is related Pierre-Paul’s accident.

If Pierre-Paul had fireworks in Coral Springs, he could face chargers, according to the report.

Meanwhile, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that if charges are handed down to JPP, he could be subject to discipline from the NFL.

————

According to Jason Cole of the Bleacher Report, Giants believe DE Jason Pierre-Paul dodged a bullet after he sustained just flesh injuries during his recent fireworks accident. As of now, it appears as though Pierre-Paul does not have any nerve damage in his hand.

Even though this is largely good news, Cole mentions that this could still be a long-term issue for JPP, who may end up needing skin grafts on his injured hand.

Cole adds that the Giants may need to place Pierre-Paul in the non-football injury list, which would ultimately cost him the first six weeks of the season.

————

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that there’s concern right now that Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul could miss training camp and the start of the regular season following his his recent fireworks accident.

  • According to Schefter, the team is still waiting to for more medical information regarding the severity of Pierre-Paul’s hand.

Reports from last night mentioned that Pierre-Paul has burns on his palm and three of his fingers. Doctors were still checking his fingers as of Sunday night for nerve damage, but he, thankfully, didn’t lose any digits from the fireworks accident.

Jordan Raanan updated the situation Monday morning by mentioning that Pierre-Paul was still at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami with his family. Raanan added that there’s currently no further update regarding his status, but the fact that he’s still in the hospital 36 hours after the incident occurred is an indication that this isn’t minor injury.

More updates regarding Pierre-Pauls situation:

  • A report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media said that the Giants have withdrawn a long-term contract offer worth around $60 million to Pierre-Paul following the incident.
  • However, Mark Cannizzaro has since refuted this report with a a source “very much in the know” saying that it’s a “100 percent false report.”
  • Meanwhile, a source tells Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News that there’s “no chance” of the Giants signing JPP to a long-term contract before the July 15 deadline.
  • Vacchiano confirms that the Giants have pulled their offer to Pierre-Paul and there likely won’t be any talks between the two parties over the next week and a half.
  • The Giants reportedly had expressed some concern regarding Pierre-Paul’s back issues, and indications were that they would likely allow JPP to play out the season under the franchise tag.
  • Vacchiano added that the Giants are not currently considering rescinding the franchise tag. However, Vacchiano admits that their position could change depending on the severity of Pierre-Paul’s injuries.

Pierre-Paul, 26, played out his five-year, $20.05 million rookie contract that included $11,629,807 million guaranteed.

The Giants wound up using their franchise tag on Pierre-Paul back in early March, which will pay him a fully guaranteed salary of $14.813 million for the 2015 season.

Jason Fitzgerald points out that the Giants could still pull the franchise tag at any time, which would make Pierre-Paul a free agent immediately.

In 2014, Pierre-Paul recorded 77 tackles, 12.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and a recovery over the course of 16 games. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 7 defensive end in a 4-3 system out of 59 qualifying players.

We’ll have more regarding Pierre-Paul and his injury as the news is available.