Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told reporters after Sunday’s game that he isn’t giving up on DE Randy Gregory, even after the news that he’s facing a year-long suspension after failing another drug test.
“I, of course, know the details of his situation, and I can’t and I won’t comment on details about it,” Jones said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “But I am not giving up on Randy Gregory for the Cowboys and certainly not giving up on him as a person in life — at all.”
“Not that it makes any difference that I do, but I do not dismiss him from our future.”
Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo broke the news last week that Gregory failed yet another drug test. Unfortunately for Gregory, his next suspension will cost him an entire year.
Gregory was eligible to return from suspension next month but unless he’s able to win an appeal, he won’t play at all this season.
Gregory has been serving a 10-game suspension on top of the four-game suspension he received back in February for another violation of the NFL substance-abuse policy. He has failed four drug tests before this with the first violation coming at the scouting combine.
Gregory, 23, is a former second-round pick of the Cowboys back in May of last year. He’s currently in the second year of his four-year, $3.814 million contract that includes $1.404 million guaranteed and stands to make a base salary of $525,000 for the 2016 season.
In 2015, Gregory appeared in 12 games for the Cowboys and recorded 11 tackles and no sacks.