Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Cowboys and the representatives for C Travis Frederick started the negotiation process regarding a long-term extension on Saturday.
According to George, the first contract proposal was exchanged during the meeting, but there’s still a “ways to go” before an agreement is in place.
Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones previously mentioned that they planned to discuss an extension with Frederick at some point in the near future, so this shouldn’t come as a huge surprise.
“Travis has been great for us,” Jones said, via the Star-Telegram. “Not only is he a great football player on the field, he represents as [coach Jason Garrett] said what most of our guys what you want off the field. He’s a guy we want to be around here.”
As of now, the Cowboys have yet to schedule a meeting to discuss a new deal. Jones also admitted that Frederick’s next deal will almost certainly end up being a “significant contract.”
“Obviously Travis is a Pro Bowler and great player and certainly it’ll be a significant contract,” Jones added. “Obviously I’ll confirm that, but we’ll certainly look at all our guys who are up after this year.”
Frederick, 25, was taken with the No. 31 overall pick back in 2013. He’s currently in the final year of his four-year, $6.8 million rookie contract and stands to make a base salary of $1,341,822 for the 2016 season.
The Cowboys elected to pick up his fifth-year option a few months ago, which will run the Cowboys $8.8 million in 2017. However, this is guaranteed only for injury and won’t prevent them from working on a long-term extension over the next year.
In 2015, Frederick appeared in all 16 games for the Cowboys and was rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 1 center out of 39 qualifying players.