The Dallas Cowboys have announced that QB Tony Romo has undergone surgery on his back and will be placed on season-ending injured reserve.
“The procedure happened this morning,” HC Jason Garrett said. “We felt the surgery went well. Tony should be able to come home later today and start his rehabilitation.
“He’ll start his road to recovery, sooner rather than later. We’re completely confident he will rehab and come back at 100 percent.”
Albert Breer reports that the Cowboys expect Romo to be back in time to participate in OTAs next May. Breer adds that Romo’s timetable is expected to be close to four months.
The Cowboys explored numerous options for Romo this week, which explains why the official word didn’t come until today.
“We spent the week exhausting all options regarding Tony’s situation, treatment, rehab all the different things. We consulted a lot of different people on this,” Garrett said. “We just felt like, as we discussed it, as yesterday wore on, that this was the best decision for him and our organization moving forward. We felt like it was better to have this done sooner rather than later.”
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported earlier this week that Romo was done for the season, but the team waited a few days before officially ending his season.
Kyle Orton will of course get the start in a winner-take-all game against the Eagles this Sunday night.