Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones told reporters on Sunday that he plans to meet with G Zack Martin’s agent, Tom Condon, during training camp regarding a long-term extension, per Brandon George.
Jones added that he’s optimistic they’ll be able to work an agreement on a deal that will keep Martin under team control for the foreseeable future.
“We’d love to get Zack Martin’s [deal] done,” Jones said, per Jon Machota. “He’s an important part of our future..confident we’ll get something worked out.”
Martin, 26, is a former first-round pick of the Cowboys back in 2014. He was entering the final year of his four-year, $8.967 million contract and stands to make a base salary of $1,642,881 for the 2017 season when Dallas picked up his fifth-year option earlier this offseason.
Martin will make around $9.341 million for the 2018 season under his fifth-year option, which is guaranteed only for injury and won’t prevent them from working on a long-term extension over the next year.
In 2016, Martin appeared in all 16 games for the Cowboys and is rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 3 guard out of 75 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding a new deal for Martin as the news is available.