According to Jon Machota, the Dallas Police Department has suspended their investigation of the late night incident involving Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott because they cannot find the victim and witnesses are not cooperating.
According to a statement released by the Dallas Police Department, the case is being “suspended due to the lack of a complaint.”
“Dallas detectives made several attempts to contact the victim through various ways but at this time have not been able to make contact. To date no witnesses have come forward to provide any additional information about this incident,”
According to a man named Michael Huffman, who was in Dallas Sunday night and witnessed the incident in which a man was knocked out, says that Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott wasn’t the one who actually threw the punch.
“It didn’t go down like that,” said Huffman, via the Dallas Morning News. “Everybody is saying that but he didn’t throw the punch…Zeke was just standing there arms folded chilling feeling the crowd. Then I seen DJ getting loud toward the vicinity of Zeke and then I see an overhand right come over the back of Zeke shoulder that landed square in DTrain’s face and he went to sleep. He didn’t even see it. Then the crowd circled and dispersed. I’m surprised a whole video hasn’t been released yet.”
TMZ Sports spoke with one witness who explained that the victim in the brawl from Sunday night was involved in a verbal altercation with a woman who was in Ezekiel Elliott’s party when Elliott decided to get involved.
According to the witness, she saw Elliott punch the man, which corroborates the story that the victim’s friend told police. Even so, police were unable to confirm Elliott was the attacker and he wasn’t arrested or charged in the matter.
The NFL is already looking into the matter.
Mike Fisher of 105.3 The Fan first reported that Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott was involved in a “late-night altercation” at a local bar Sunday night.
A statement from Dallas Police mentioned that officers were called to a disturbance Sunday in which a 30-year-old male victim said he was assaulted but he did not know who hit him. The alleged victim was taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries and no arrests were made in the matter.
As of now, no one is considered a suspect, but there is an ongoing investigation.
This comes just days after Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that there’s a “growing sense” Elliott could face a short suspension from the domestic violence incident that occurred back in 2016.
The NFL is still investigating Elliott, but Schefter says it’s possible they could wrap things up in the coming weeks and possibly announce a short ban for Elliott upon doing so.
Elliott will still have to respond to the league’s findings, but Schefter thinks Elliott is bracing for a short suspension that could cost him possibly one or two games.
“The NFL is looking to pin something on him,” one source familiar with the investigation told Schefter.
A few weeks ago, Schefter said he would be hesitant to draft Elliott right now, considering that it’s still possible he could be disciplined for the domestic abuse allegations made by his ex-girlfriend.
“I would just say this. It is definitely a factor, and if I were drafting today, I would be hesitant to (draft him),” Schefter said, via Jimmy Kempski of PhillyVoice.com. “But this is a situation that has gone back and forth so many times. I’ve spoken to some people within the league who, during the course of the offseason, got a sense that some form of discipline could happen.
“And then I spoke to somebody last week and they’re like, ‘Yeah, I don’t think anything is going to happen here.’ And then a decision that many people thought would come before the start of the the July 4th weekend on Friday when the NFL usually makes a lot of decisions, hands down some news, I was told that was being pushed back.
“Now why is that being pushed back? Was it being pushed back, actually? Maybe it wasn’t even. But I was told there wasn’t going to be an answer here for a little while, that there was more information. There have been more meetings between either Zeke’s people and the league, or the NFLPA and the league, or whoever. It’s just been an ongoing issue that has had no conclusion. And so, if you’re drafting today, it’s hard to say, ‘Well, nothing’s going to happen there.’
“Nothing may well happen there, but something could happen there. We just don’t know right now. It’s just sort of out there.”
A month ago, the NFLPA turned over phone records and other documents that had been requested by NFL investigators regarding their investigation into the domestic violence allegations against Elliott and it appeared as though we could be headed towards a resolution.
Elliott, 21, was taken with the No. 4 overall pick by the Cowboys back in May. He signed four-year contract worth $24,956,342, which includes a signing bonus of $16,350,068.
Elliott stands to make base salaries of $1.58 million (2017), $2.71 million (2018), and $3.85 million (2019) over the remainder of the contract. The agreement also includes a fifth-year option for the team to consider in 2019.
In 2016, Elliott has appeared in 16 games for the Cowboys and rushed for 1,631 yards on 322 carries (5.1 YPC) to go along with 32 receptions for 363 yards receiving and 16 total touchdowns. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 2 running back out of 62 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding Elliott and the ongoing investigation as the news is available.