Home / Cowboys / Cowboys Still Have “No Interest” In Signing RB Ray Rice

Cowboys Still Have “No Interest” In Signing RB Ray Rice

Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Cowboys have “no interest” in signing free agent RB Ray Rice.

There has been a lot of talk that the Cowboys could consider bringing in a running back, especially now that they’ve released RB Ryan Williams. However, Dallas elected to sign rookie RB Gus Johnson to a contract on Tuesday and appear to be comfortable seeing what they have in Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, and Lance Dunbar before looking at available options.

On Monday, the co-founders of an anti-domestic violence group called “A CALL TO MEN” advocated for Rice getting another chance in the NFL.

“We have been around a lot of abusive men, but our experience with Ray has been tremendously positive,” co-founder Tony Porter said this past weekend, via ESPN.com. “We feel strongly about him having the opportunity of having a second chance. He’s deserving of it.”

He’s held himself accountable,” fellow co-founder Ted Bunch added. “He is saying everything that you would want him to say and doing everything that you would want him to do. So why wouldn’t he deserve another chance? His work in the area of educating young men is more important than him getting back on the field. He knows that and has said that to us. He is seeing the bigger picture. He has a desire to compete again, but also to make a difference in the world. This is what mistakes should be about: learning from them and teaching others. We’ve been in front of a lot of batterers. He is as transparent as I’ve seen, and as sincere as I’ve seen.

ESPN’s Ed Werder reported last week that Rice and a group of supporters had been making calling NFL teams asking to give him a second chance in the NFL.

In fact, an unnamed NFL team “seriously considered” offering Rice a contract, but the team’s ownership became uncomfortable late in the process because of concerns about public reaction to signing him to a contract.

Rice, 28, last appeared in an NFL game back in 2013 when he ran for 660 yards on 214 carries (3.1 YPC) to go along with 58 receptions for 321 yards receiving and four total touchdowns.

It’s worth mentioning that Rice dealt with a hip injury that year, which could explain his dip in production. However, Pro Football Focus still had him rated as the worst qualifying running back in the league that year.