Suspended Dolphins DE Dion Jordan plans to apply for reinstatement into the NFL on Wednesday now that he’s served his suspension after violating the NFL’s drug policy.
Jordan stressed that he isn’t going to waste another opportunity in the NFL, despite his prior transgressions.
“I’m not about to waste it. I can’t waste it. And I (expletive) love doing it,” Jordan told USA TODAY Sports. “Who doesn’t love running out in front of 30,000-plus fans and you get that rush? But it’s also things that you can get that rush from that can be very satisfying and can carry you on to a successful life after football.
“I just turned 26 years old, so life starts to hit you in the face. Who are you outside of those shoulder pads and helmet? And it’s weird, but I feel like it’s a blessing for me at this point in time to think about it, instead of waiting ‘til they really tell me I can’t play football no more.”
According to his agent, Doug Hendrickson, Jordan he has been drug-free since before he produced a diluted sample back in December 2014. In fact, Hendrickson said that Jordan is tested for drugs twice a week and hasn’t missed or failed a test since he began serving his suspension over a year ago.
One Dolphins source previously told Armando Salugero that the team expects to welcome Jordan back if and when he is reinstated. However, a separate source mentioned that that is “mere posturing” by the team in hopes of making Jordan available in a trade.
Jordan, 26, still has two years remaining on his four-year, $20.572 million rookie contract, which includes base salaries of $600,000 (2016) and $690,000 (2017) after his contract tolled during the suspension. Miami will also have a team option on Jordan in 2018.
The Dolphins traded up to No. 3 overall back in 2012 to select Jordan, but he hasn’t come anywhere close to living up to his draft status.
In 2014, Jordan appeared in 10 games and recorded 20 tackles, one sack, and a pass defense for the Dolphins.