Hate tip to Evan Silva of Rotoworld for live blogging Mike Mayock’s afternoon conference call.
Robert Griffin III
- Mayock believes that he “has a better chance to succeed, day one” than Andrew Luck because of the Redskins supporting cast.
- In regards to questions about Griffin’s attitude: “He has a natural, charismatic personality. Wide receivers are already lining up wanting to play with him.”
- “Barron is one of the best players in this draft, and I think he’s gonna go between 10 & 15.”
- “Moves like Haloti Ngata, but he’s a very average football player right now.”
- “One of the 10 best players in this draft … Best pass-dropping inside ‘backer I’ve ever seen come out of college.”
- “I’m a big fan. He’s a top 10 or 12 player in this draft. Definitely top half of the 1st round.”
- “He could be an All Pro. But he’s got bust potential written all over him.”
- “Big physical guy. Natural hands catcher. Maybe the best blocker at receiver in this draft.“
- “I would not be surprised at all if he goes 20-32. There’s so much upside in a kid like that outside the numbers.”
- “Not as fast. I worry about what his weight’s gonna be. Gifted kid that doesn’t run very fast.“
- “The Jenkins kid is scaring a lot of people off.“
- “A guy that’s risen a lot lately. I think he’s gonna be a 10-yr starter.” Compares to Mike Vrabel.
- Mayock believes that he’ll be an early 2nd-round pick.
- Mayock refers to Brown as a “height weight speed guy” that will end up being overdrafted. He gives him a 3rd-round grade.
Vikings #3 Pick
- “I believe Kalil is the choice. And if he’s not, it’s gotta be Claiborne.“
Browns #4 Pick
- “If you’re not gonna take a quarterback, I think you have to take Trent Richardson.”
Jaguars #7 pick
- “Obviously, if Justin Blackmon gets there, that’s a no-brainer.”
- “Possession receiver, tough as nails. … Amazing recovery from an ACL.” Projects late 3rd to 4th-round pick.
- “I put his tape on with zero preconceived notions. I watched 3 tapes and really didn’t like him as a football player. Non-draftable kid. For me, he’s a free agent.”
- “Very narrow, small frame. Looks like a WR and he’s not gonna get much bigger.” Mayock adds that he projects as a late 3rd round pick but could end up going lower.
Furman CB Ryan Steed
- Mayock mentioned that he likes his physicality & competitiveness, but believes he’ll go in the 5th round.
Cincinnati DL Derek Wolfe
- “I’ve heard ppl say 1st round. I don’t see it. I see maybe late 2 to early 3.”
- “Height-weight-speed guy. Not sure we’re gonna see any production out of him. I think he’s gonna be a little overwhelmed.”
Alabama NT Josh Chapman
- “I’m not sure when he’s gonna be available (health wise), but teams really like Chapman.”
Stanford WR Chris Owusu
- “I think it’s gonna be very difficult for him to be drafted” because of his concussion history.