While police have said that LSU OT La’el Collins is not a suspect in the murder of a pregnant woman he apparently knew, Peter King of MMQB believes the young offensive tackle has a real problem.
A team with interest in drafting an offensive tackle tells King that they are re-thinking whether Collins will even be on their draft board.
According to King, the team’s thinking is: “How can you draft a guy who’s being sought in connection with the death of a woman, even if police are saying now he isn’t a suspect? He needs to be exonerated by Thursday.”
- Peter King reports that the Buccaneers, Jaguars and Titans have all inquired about trading back into the first-round.
- King has heard that UConn CB Bryon Jones could be taken as high as No. 15 by the 49ers or fall to teams like the Eagles, Steelers or Ravens.
- The Bengals are reportedly considering Texas A&M tackle Cedric Ogbuehi at No. 21 overall.
- King doesn’t believe the Buccaneers have received an offer that would convince them to trade the No. 1 overall pick.
A “smart” GM tells Peter King: “I know everybody’s got Tennessee taking Marcus Mariota, and that’s probably how it goes. But it will not shock me if Cleveland trades the farm to get him at two. [Owner] Jimmy Haslam has to be sick of the merry-go-round at quarterback, and he has to be embarrassed by the Johnny Manziel pick last year. How could he not want a squeaky-clean quarterback like Mariota to lead his franchise?”
- According to Peter King, players to watch for the Cowboys include: Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon, UCLA LB Eric Kendricks, and Mississippi State ILB Benardrick McKinney.
- King mentions that no one knows what the Jets and new GM Mike Maccagnan are doing in round one.
- King believes the Patriots are in a great spot at No. 32 overall given that a number of team want to trade back in to the first round.
- While New England could trade back, King mentions that they really like USC WR Nelson Agholor.