Falcons HC Dan Quinn told reporters on Monday that they’re still in contact with free agent DE Dwight Freeney, but currently have no plans to sign him to a contract.
“Definitely somebody that we still talk to on a regular basis,” Quinn said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “We are hopeful that he’s going to play this year. I know that he wants to, but right not there are no changes in our plan.”
This comes after the news that DE Vic Beasley has a hamstring strain could miss as much as a month.
Atlanta plans to give first-round DE Takkarist McKinley more playing time in Beasley’s absence, but it’s at least a possibility that they could bring in Freeney at some point this year.
Freeney has maintained that he would like to play this year, but an opportunity has yet to surface for him.
Freeney, 37, is a former first-round pick of the Colts back in 2002. After spending 11 years in Indianapolis, Freeney signed on with the Chargers as a free agent and spent two seasons in San Diego.
The Cardinals signed him to a one-year contract in 2015 and were rewarded with a productive year from the veteran pass rusher. He finished out his one-year deal with the Cardinals before signing a one-year, $1 million contract with the Falcons last year.
In 2016, Freeney recorded 10 tackles and three sacks over the course of 15 games for the Falcons. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 49 edge rusher out of qualifying 109 players.
We have him featured in our Top 50 Available Free Agents list.