Home / Saints / 1st Medical Opinion For Nick Fairley Was To Quit Playing Football, Getting 3rd Opinion

1st Medical Opinion For Nick Fairley Was To Quit Playing Football, Getting 3rd Opinion

On Thursday, Saints HC Sean Payton told reporters that DT Nick Fairley has received two medical opinions regarding his heart issue. The first said he should no longer play football, but Fairley is waiting on a third opinion before making and determination about his NFL career.

He’s gotten two professional opinions,” Payton said, via NFL.com. “The first one was one that advised that he shouldn’t play football again. The second opinion was a little different, and he’s getting a third opinion or he’s already gotten a third opinion, we’re waiting on that opinion.

“The things we know are this, it’s obviously something significant and serious that we’ve got to pay attention to, obviously both for Nick and for the club. So we’re hopeful and yet we’re guarded because of the type of condition that we’re talking about.

Last week, a report surfaced that Fairley had been absent from the team’s OTA practices because of heart trouble that could jeopardize his NFL career. The heart issue is something he’s dealt with since entering the NFL.

Fairley, 29, is a former first-round pick of the Lions back in 2011. He played out his rookie contract in Detroit before signing on a one-year, prove-it deal with the Rams in 2015.

Last year, the Saints signed Fairley to another one-year contract before they agreed to four-year, $28 million contract that included $14 million guaranteed this past March.

In 2016, Fairley appeared in all 16 games for the Saints and recorded 43 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 34 interior defensive lineman out of 127 qualifying players.

We’ll have more regarding Fairley and his health as the news is available.