Free agent G Jahri Evans mentioned during an appearance on the NFL Network Thursday morning that he has no plans to return from the NFL and is still waiting for another opportunity to surface.
“Not at all,” Evans said on “Good Morning Football” Thursday, via Joel A. Erickson of the Advocate. “I had a good season last year, we did a lot of good things, and I’m just waiting for that phone call, right situation.
“As long as I’m still playing at an elite level,” Evans said. “I’ll strap on the helmet and give it a go.”
Evans is among the best interior offensive linemen still available in the free agent market, so it’s possible that interest in him could pick up after the draft.
Evans, 33, is a former fourth-round pick of the Saints back in 2006. He spent 10 years in New Orleans before he was released by the Saints last year.
The Seahawks eventually signed him to a contract in August, but he lasted just a month in Seattle before he was among their final roster cuts.
Evans returned to the Saints a few days later on a one-year contract and finished out the year in New Orleans.
In 2016, Evans appeared in all 16 games for the Saints and was rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 36 guard out of 72 qualifying players.