Here’s a running list of reports and rumors pertaining to the Jaguars’ head-coaching search. Be sure to check back for the latest news.
- Mike Silver mentions that while there’s talk that Buccaneers DC Mike Smith is the favorite to be hired by the Jaguars, he’s not counting out interim HC Doug Marrone being hired by Jacksonville.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that Buccaneers DC Mike Smith has emerged as the “top guy” in the Jaguars’ head-coaching search. According to Florio, Smith prior head-coaching experience with the Falcons and ties to Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell from their time together in Atlanta have helped him with the Jacksonville.
- According to Jason La Canfora, interim coach Doug Marrone remains “well-positioned” to get a “very strong look” from Jacksonville for the head-coaching job.
- Peter Schrager reports that interim HC Doug Marrone is still “very much in contention” for the Jaguars’ head-coaching job.
- A league source tells Ben Volin of the Boston Globe that it appears Patriots OC Josh McDaniels will get to choose between the Rams, 49ers and Jaguars for a head coaching job this offseason, barring a late position becoming available.
- Jason Cole of B/R reports that at least two head-coaching candidates have privately expressed concern regarding QB Blake Bortles, as there are “significant concerns” about him as a quarterback in the NFL. Cole adds that another concern for candidates is that the Jaguars could stick with Bortles too long, even if their next head coach doesn’t think they can succeed with him as their starter.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Jaguars met with interim HC Doug Marrone all day and late into the night on Thursday. Rapoport adds that the meeting went well.
- According to Ian Rapoport, Bills interim coach Anthony Lynn is expected to interview with the Jaguars for their head-coaching job.
- Ian Rapoport reports the Jaguars will interview Buccaneers DC Mike Smith on Wednesday.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan will interview with the Rams, Jaguars, Broncos and 49ers between Friday and Saturday.
- Rick Stroud reports that the Jaguars will interview Buccaneers DC Mike Smith for their for their head-coaching job.
- Adam Schefter reports that the Jaguars have scheduled an interview for Friday with Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan.
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels has agreed to interview with the Rams, 49ers and Jaguars. (NFLTR)
- Ian Rapoport reports that Jaguars interim HC Doug Marrone had dinner with owner Shad Khan Monday night to discuss their opening and he will likely get another meeting with the team. According to Rapoport, a Super Bowl-winning coach advised Khan to promote Marrone.
- Jaguars are interviewing Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin this week. (NFLTR)
- Mike Silver reports that while the Bills are “very high” on interim HC Anthony Lynn, he’s likely to draw “heavy interest” from other teams including Rams, Jaguars and 49ers among others.
- Jaguars interviewed Tom Coughlin last week. (NFLTR)
- Bills interim HC Anthony Lynn (expected)
- Buccaneers DC Mike Smith (scheduled)
- Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan (scheduled)
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels (scheduled)
- Jaguars interim HC Doug Marrone (interviewed)
- Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin (scheduled)
- Tom Coughlin (interviewed)
Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell mentioned that ownership expects big things from this coaching search and stressed that NFL head-coaching experience is “critical” for them in their search.
However, Jacksonville there won’t be any mandates in terms of starting QB Blake Bortles.
We’ll have more regarding the Jaguars’ coaching search as the news is available.