Jaguars owner Shad Khan was asked on Friday if he would welcome back suspended WR Justin Blackmon to the team next year.
“Absolutely,” Khan said, via Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times Union. “As a matter of fact, I’m very optimistic. I think he’s paid his dues. I think he’s got his life together. I think he can be a role model for people who have gone through hard times. We’re waiting for him.”
Alex Marvez of FOX Sports recently reported that there is optimism among people in the NFL that Blackmon will overcome his issues and be back for the 2015 season.
It’s interesting to hear who optimistic Khan is about Blackmon being back next year, given that the team has previously said that they are treating him as a luxury moving forward.
Blackmon was arrested for third time last year after he was stopped for a traffic violation when officers smelled an odor of marijuana coming from the car. After searching the vehicle, the police did in fact find marijuana, which led to him being taken into custody.
His most recent arrest that led to an indefinite suspension was for possession of marijuana.
Blackmon, 25, still has a few years remaining on his four-year, $18.5 million rookie contract given that he has been suspended. In 2013, he appeared in only four games, registering 29 catches for 415 yards and a touchdown.
We’ll have more about Blackmon returning the Jaguars next year as the news is available.