Home / Jets / Jets Now Planning To Keep Bart Scott?

Jets Now Planning To Keep Bart Scott?

While speaking to the media at Tuesday morning’s owners meeting, Jets head coach Rex Ryan told reporters, that the Jets are planning to keep linebacker Bart Scott.

Why wouldn’t (he be back)?” Ryan said, per Aaron Wilson. “I’ve had great discussions with Bart. He’s got his weight down. He felt that he probably got a little too heavy last year.”

Scott has been a featured player in Ryan’s defense for many years, even dating back to their days in Baltimore, but after a year where Bart seemed to have taken a step backwards in regards to his  productivity, rumors began to circulate that the Jets were looking to trade him. Ryan’s comments are obviously an attempt to manage the situation and prevent any further locker room issues.

Last year, Scott’s role was relegated to playing early downs and running situations. He provides little to no pass rush and he’ll be 32 at the start of the 2012 season while carrying a $4.2 million base salary. It’s safe to say that this will most likely be his last season in New York unless he’s willing to take a serious pay cut next year.