Johnny Manziel’s Self-Imposed Deadline Passes Without Deal With Hamilton Tiger-Cats

The self-imposed deadline by former Browns QB Johnny Manziel to finalize a deal done with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats passed on Wednesday without an agreement in place.

The Tiger-Cats released the following statement regarding the situation with Manziel:

“While the discussions with Johnny Manziel and his representative have been very cordial and informative, there is nothing imminent and nothing to report. We will continue to do our due diligence and will have no further public comment on the matter as we move forward.”

Last week, Tiger-Cats GM Eric Tillman mentioned during an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio that they were still negotiating with Manziel and planned to take their time, despite a self-imposed deadline by Manziel’s agent to get a “fair deal” done.

“A lot of stuff happens in the negotiation process,” Tillman said, via the Sporting News. “We have a lot of respect for Erik. Our meetings with Johnny have been good. 

“We’ll be patient. I know the deadline is there but will be fluid. There’s a lot of time between now and the beginning of camp (in May).”

Tillman explained that he sees “a lot of good” in Manziel and they believe it could be a “win-win situation” if he were to come and play for the Tiger-Cats.

We’re in a world now where sometimes people are identified by their worst moments,” Tiller said. “All people make mistakes. Certainly young people do.

“I see a lot of good in Johnny. We see a lot of upside in him. We visited with him and looked him in the eye. I think he’s a guy who wants to reestablish himself even more as a person than a player. If he comes, I think it will be a win-win situation.

Manziel’s agent, Erik Burkhardt, released a lengthy statement (NFLTR) explaining that they’ve given the Hamilton Tiger-Cats exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with his client until January 31.

Back in September, the CFL announced that they would not register a contract for Manziel this season, but he would be eligible to sign in 2018.

Manziel, 25, is a former first-round pick of the Browns back in 2014. He was in the second year of his four-year, $8,247,250 rookie contract when the Browns cut him loose at the start of the 2016 league year.

Manziel received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on recreational drug and wound up sitting out the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

In 2015, Manziel appeared in nine games and thrown for 1,500 yards while completing 57.8 percent of his passes to go along with seven touchdowns and five interceptions. Manziel also ran for 230 yards. Pro Football Focus had him rated as the No. 31 quarterback out of 36 qualifying players that year.

We’ll have more regarding Manziel as the news is available.