Veteran OLB Junior Galette announced via his Instagram account Tuesday that he’s signing a new contract with the Redskins on Wednesday.
A few weeks ago, Galette mentioned during an interview with ESPN 980’s Scott Jackson and Brian Mitchell that he planned to sign another one-year contract with Washington this offseason.
“Technically I’m a free agent, but in my mind, like I said last year, I’m set to come back,” Galette said, via the Washington Post. “I already spoke to Scot [McCloughan], and we already have plans to just sign me back on a one-year deal. I told him I don’t care about no money right now. I could care less. I made tons of money in the NFL, and I set myself up to be good for life. I’m not worried about the money. It’s about my pride right now and to show myself that I can come back from back-to-back Achilles’ injuries. I feel like it would be one for the history books the way I come back if I could come back and take the league by storm and proceed and play for another five years in my prime.”
Galette wound up re-signing with the Redskins and received a one-year contract worth up to $4 million that was designed for him to rebuild his market value before testing the open market again in 2017. However, he, unfortunately, suffered a torn Achilles during football drills back in July and was later placed on non-football injury list.
Galette, 28, originally signed on with the Saints as an undrafted free agent out of Stillman back in 2010. The Saints later signed him to a massive four-year extension only to cut him loose less than a year into the new contract.
The Redskins signed him to a one-year deal a week later but he’s dealt with multiple injuries since arriving in Washington.
Galette was suspended for two games for violating the league’s personal-conduct policy for his role in a January incident in which he was accused of domestic violence.
In 2014, Galette appeared in all 16 games for the Saints and recorded 45 tackles, 10 sacks, three forced fumbles, two safeties and two pass defenses. That year, Pro Football Focus had him rated as the No. 4 defensive end in a 4-3 defense out of 59 qualifying players.