According to Adam Schefter, Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald has no plans to retire after this year, despite the report that surfaced on Sunday.
Instead, Schefter says that this is why he signed a contract extension last month.
Fitzgerald, himself, dismissed the idea that he’s already planning to walk away from the game after this season.
“I don’t talk about the future,” Fitzgerald said, via NFL.com. “I don’t even know what I am having for dinner tonight, let alone what I am doing next year.”
Larry Fitzgerald‘s father tweets that his son never told him he was considering retiring from the NFL.
— Larry Fitzgerald Sr. (@FitzBeatSr) September 11, 2016
The Cardinals signed Fitzgerald QB Carson Palmer to one-year extensions back in August, but it sounds like this could be it for Fitzgerald.
Assuming this is, in fact, it for Fitzgerald, he’s close to be a lock to make the Hall of Fame down the road.
Fitzgerald, 32, agreed to renegotiate his seven-year $113 million contract and signed a two-year, $22 million deal with Arizona last year. He was set to make a base salary of $11 million in 2016, but his contract included voidable years in 2017 and 2018.
Fitzgerald’s new one-year extension is worth $11 million and is guaranteed for injury.
In 2015, Fitzgerald appeared in all 16 games for the Cardinals and totaled 109 receptions for 1,215 yards receiving and nine touchdowns.
We’ll have more regarding Fitzgerald’s future as the news is available.