Texans owner Bob McNair was asked specifically if former Bears HC Lovie Smith would be a candidate for the team’s now vacant head coaching position.
Houston is currently running Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defense, so a change to Smith’s Tampa-two defense could be coming. Smith is a Texas native and wants to return to coaching in the NFL next season.
Smith’s head coaching record with the Chicago Bears was 81-63 over the course of nine seasons.
Other speculative options being floated around for the Texans head coaching job include:
- Browns DC Ray Horton
- 49ers OC Greg Roman
- Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell
- Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt
- Cardinals DC Todd Bowles
- Saints OC Pete Carmichael
- Jon Gruden
- Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan if they are fired this offseason
- Texans interim HC Wade Phillips
- Stanford HC David Shaw
- Baylor HC Art Briles
- Auburn HC Gus Malzahn
- Penn State HC Bill O’Brien
We will have more updates regarding the Texans’ head coaching job as interviews and reports are available.