ESPN’s Mel Kiper took part in a conference call on Thursday to discuss all things draft related two weeks before the NFL Scouting Combine.
Without a doubt, the most buzz worthy comment from Kiper was that Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is the “consensus No. 1 quarterback” around the league right now.
“For Cleveland, to see Manziel there would be a surprise to me. When you talk to people in the league, he’s the consensus No. 1 quarterback,” Kiper said, via Mocking the Draft.
Kiper had Manziel going No. 1 overall to the Texans in his mock draft that was released a few weeks ago, so it’s not surprising that he would view Johnny Football as the best quarterback in this year’s draft class. However, referring to any one as the “consensus” top player right now seems like a bit of a reach, especially this far out.
Teddy Bridewater was his faction of supporters just as Blake Bortles remains in the decision for the No. 1 overall pick.
Kiper mentioned that he sees similarities between Bridewater and Donovan McNabb and added that the Browns are believed to have a “high opinion” of Bridgewater, per Dan Kadar.
As of now, we have Manziel listed as the No. 13 prospect in our 2014 Big Board.
Other Notes from Kiper:
- Kiper mentioned that he expects to see a lot of wide receivers and offensive tackles taken in round one. (Scott Brown)
- Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack has a shot to go as high as No. 3 overall. (Dan Kadar)
- The Chiefs could target a receiver, tight end or safety in the first round. (Dan Kadar)
- Kiper believes Jadeveon Clowney will either go No. 1 overall to the Texans or No. 3 overall to the Jaguars. (Joe Person)
- Florida State DL Tim Jernigan would be “a heck of a pick” for the Bears. (Dan Kadar)
- Kiper mentions that USC WR Marquise Lee could be an option for the Jets, and believes they should target a QB in the third or fourth round. (Rich Cimini)
- Kiper doesn’t see any running backs going in round one, and doesn’t think it’s smart to ever take a back in the first-round. (John Oehser)
- Cornerback is deep this year and he thinks there could be a number of players coming off the board in round two and three. (Dan Kadar)
- Kiper specifically mentions CBs Darqueze Dennard and Justin Gilbert as options for the Steelers in round one. (Dan Kadar)
- Kiper believes Michigan LT Taylor Lewan could go as high as No. 2 overall to the Rams Louis or as low as No. 9. to the Bills. (Dan Kadar)