Veteran free agent QB Michael Vick told Josina Anderson of ESPN that he hopes to hear from the Cowboys regarding their backup quarterback situation, via Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk.
“I just want to put the helmet on one more time and dedicate myself to football,” Vick said.
On Wednesday, Kellen Moore went down with a fractured ankle and is undergoing surgery today. It’s likely that Moore will miss between three and four months with this injury.
Vick mentioned a couple weeks ago that he would prefer to play for a contending team in 2016. Although the Cowboys finished 4-12 last season, they have a considerable amount of offensive talent.
“I’m going to continue to stay optimistic about my 2016 season and try to enjoy it,” Vick told Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer. “I wouldn’t say that I would go to any of the 32 teams. At this point in my career I would love to play for a contender. If anything, you’ve just got to be willing to make a contribution. In the NFL, that’s what it’s all about.”
Vick, 36, said he’s been working out and waiting for another opportunity with an NFL team with the hope of playing one more year and appears committed to continuing his career.
In 2015, Vick appeared in five games for the Steelers and threw for 371 yards while completing 60.6 percent of his passes to go along with two touchdowns and an interception. He also contributed 99 yards rushing last year.