Here’s a collection of news and rumors from a busy Tuesday now that free agency is open for business.
- WFAN in New York reports that the Giants DE Osi Umenyiora will holdout of training camp if his contract is not addressed in the coming days. No real surprise here as we have been discussing the topic for a number of days now.
- John Beck made an appearance on ESPN Radio 980 yesterday and discussed backup QB Rex Grossman’s future with the team. “They’re going to re-sign Rex defininiely.They’ve told me that,” said Beck.
- The Cowboys decided to cut RG Leonard Davis this morning. An earlier report suggested that RT Marc Colombo was also informed that he’ll be cut but that report was later refuted by ESPN Dallas’ Calvin Watkins. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen tweets that the decision to cut Davis is an attempt to keep free agent OT Doug Free.
- Pro Football Talk tweets that the Cardinals have informed ILB Gerald Hayes that he’ll be released. Hayes is 30 and is set to make $4.25 million for the 2011 season.
- The Carolina Panthers signed the first veteran free agent this morning. The Panthers agreed to terms with former Rams S Kevin Payne, per Brad Biggs.
New York Giants
- The Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Giants have informed G/C Rich Seubert of his release. Seubert is 32 and was going to make $2.25 million for the upcoming season.