Home Bears NFC North Notes: Bears, Packers, Vikings
- Bears GM Ryan Pace regarding their decision to tender RFA WR Cameron Meredith at the original level instead of using a second-round tender on him: “Without getting into specifics, obviously he was coming off an injury. We lean on our training staff and our docs. Hey, I’ve got a lot of respect for Cam and a lot of respect for the organization he went to (Saints). We wish him luck.” (Rich Campbell)
- As for losing him to the Saints, Pace said: “It’s happening right now in the draft. We just went through our medical grades. Every organization is different. Every organization comes to different assessments.”
- Pace said they have eight players they’re comfortable taking at No. 8 overall. (Patrick Finley)
- While the Bears haven’t confirmed whether they’ll pick up WR Kevin White‘s fifth-year option, Patrick Finley can’t imagine them exercising the option.
- Rob Demovsky of ESPN mentions that it’s possible the Packers could trade up in round one in order to land one of the top-three defensive backs in this year’s draft class — OSU CB Denzel Ward, Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick or FSU S Derwin James.
- All three players should be gone by the time Green Bay is on the clock at No. 14 overall, which is why they may have to move up to secure a top defensive back.
- Demovsky points out that the Packers have the most selections in this year’s draft to work with, so they could afford to make the move up for a certain player.
- Vikings GM Rick Spielman said Tuesday that he’s already received some trade calls, but added: “I don’t want to trade out if a player falls to us.” (Chris Tomasson)
- According to Spielman, they’re locked into taking an offensive lineman at No. 30 overall. (Chris Tomasson)
- In fact, Spielman says they could go with a player at one of five different positions at No. 30. (Chris Tomasson)
- After signing LB Eric Kendricks to a new deal, Spielman said they’re working on extensions for some other top players. (Chris Tomasson)
- Spielman declined to say if there’s still a chance that veteran CB Terence Newman could return. (Chris Tomasson)