Home Bears NFC North Rumors: Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings
- According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, it would be a “stunner” if veteran ILB Jerrell Freeman returned to the Bears for the 2017 season.
- Biggs mentions that if Freeman does not retire from the NFL, the Bears will almost certainly terminate his contract.
- No surprise here, but league sources tell Jason La Canfora that the Bears will release QB Mike Glennon.
- A source with knowledge of the situation tells La Canfora that CB Kyle Fuller will not be returning to Chicago.
- Lions TE Eric Ebron is likely to be the subject of trade rumors this offseason, according to Jason La Canfora.
- League executives believe DE Ziggy Ansah could set the market at his position this offseason: “He has a chance to set the market on that side of the ball in free agency if they let him hit the market.”
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press believes the Lions should ultimately franchise Ansah for the 2018 season, given that it doesn’t make a lot of sense to invest big long-term money in a player who has a lengthy injury history and is already 29 years old.
- While there has been talk that the Packers are unlikely to keep both WRs Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb, Jason La Canfora seems to like both will be back.
- Here’s what an executive with ties to Green Bay told La Canfora: “[Aaron] Rodgers is back healthy, he got the GM in the seat that he wanted, and he loves both of those receivers. He’ll make it clear he doesn’t want to lose them. I don’t think they’re going anywhere.“
- Another cap casualty that has come up for the Packers is OLB Clay Matthews. However, La Canfora also expects him to return.
- Jason La Canfora writes that he wouldn’t be surprised to see Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater both return to the Vikings next season.
- La Canfora hears that it will, unfortunately, be very difficult for former first-round DT Sharrif Floyd to play again due to a lingering knee problem.