- Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee wonders if the 49ers could consider switching to a 4-3 defense in 2017.
- Barrows admits that they’ve used their last two first-round picks on prototypical 3-4 defensive linemen in Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner.
- However, the 49ers don’t have a nose tackle under contract beyond this year and are lacking depth at outside linebacker.
- Greg Auman does not expect the Buccaneers to be interested in signing RB Christine Michael since Tampa Bay’s running backs are getting more healthy.
- The Panthers are still hoping that LT Michael Oher (concussion) will be able to return at some point this season, despite spending the last 48 days in the NFL’s concussion protocol, according to Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer.
- A league source tells Person that Oher is experiencing sensitivity to light, as well as issues involving his vestibular ocular system, which is responsible for integrating vision, movement and balance.
“It was just Jared’s progress, and the progression week after week after week. Preparing to be a 2, preparing to be a play from going in,” said Fisher, via Alden Gonzalez of ESPN. “When he got the reps over the last three or four weeks, they were right, they were good, they were good decisions. So, it was time.”