49ers RB Carlos Hyde admitted that there will be more competition to deal with this summer than in years past.
“I feel that there’s more competition in the room now,” said Hyde, via Keiana Martin of the 49ers’ official site. (Running backs coach) Bobby (Turner) stresses it every day that he wants guys in the room competing. Any one of those guys can go in and be a starter. That just pushes me to take my game to the next level, because I want to be the starter. Every guy in that room wants to be the starter. So, it’s going to help everybody out. It’s going to benefit all of us.”
49ers HC Kyle Shanahan mentioned that he wants to give each of their running backs an opportunity to gain the first-team role.
“All we have to go off of is watching tape from what they’ve had in the past,” Shanahan said. “We want to balance everyone out, give everyone opportunities at each position. We need to see for ourselves, doing what we’re asking them to do, the techniques and the schemes and find out what the best place is for guys.”
- Josh Weinfuss of ESPN doesn’t think the loss of DL Calais Campbell will have as big of an impact as it could for the Cardinals.
- According to Weinfuss, as long as the Cardinals can pressure opposing quarterbacks with edge rushers Chandler Jones and Markus Golden, it could open things up for their interior pass rushers like Robert Nkemdiche and others.
- The area where Weinfuss believes Campbell will be missed is in the locker room, as he was a steadying force and a leader for their defense.
- Saints OT Zach Strief mentioned during an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio that teammate OT Terron Armstead sustained his torn shoulder labrum while hitting a bag during individual drills.
- According to Strief, the Saints’ candidates to replace Armstead include Ryan Ramczyk, Brice Harris, and Khalif Barnes, but specifically referred to Ramczyk as the “frontrunner.” (Alex Marvez)