49ers HC Kyle Shanahan explained that the decision to release veteran OLB Ahmad Brooks really came down the 53-man roster and the kind of players they wanted to make available.
“It really comes down to the final 53,” Shanahan said. “I’m starting to get a better feel for what that is now. It’s taken me some time. It’s taken [general manager] John [Lynch] and I some time because we’ve got to know what our group is like. It’s really been nothing against Ahmad. It’s, how are we going to get 53 guys on this team, the right type of 53 guys?
“You think of guys that might not be as good in Week 1, but you think they’ll be ready in Week 3. What gives you the best chance to win in Week 1 and Week 8 and Week 16? You’ve got to play all that into account. It’s rarely as simple as saying it’s the starter versus the backup versus the third-string guy. It has to do with the overall 53.”
James Kratch of NJ.com takes a look at some players on the roster bubble for the Giants over the next few weeks.
- According to Kratch, veteran QB Geno Smith could clinch the backup job if he can clean up his play and stop turning the ball over. In fact, Kratch says that Smith would have ended the battle for the No. 2 job already had not turned the ball over and played sloppily.
- As for Josh Johnson, Kratch says he’ll need to work on getting rid of the ball quickly and avoid any further blunders.
- Kratch mentions that the Giants’ decision to keep a fullback this year will likely impact TEs Matt LaCosse and Will Tye. As of now, LaCosse’s blocking ability could give him a leg up over Tye, who is a more proven receiver.
- Interestingly enough, Kratch writes veteran OL D.J. Fluker hasn’t taken a single first-team snap this entire summer in practices open to the media. The Giants actually had Brett Jones working with the first-team offensive line last week at guard over Fluker, so there’s clearly some question about his chances of making the team.
- Kratch believes DE Devin Taylor may need a strong pair of game performances to lock up a spot on the 53-man roster.