Home / Bears / NFC Notes: Bears, Packers, Saints & Seahawks
NFC Notes: Bears, Packers, Saints & Seahawks
- Jeff Dickerson writes that the position battle worth watching for the Bears this summer is at running back. While Jeremy Langford is expected to be the favorite to replace Matt Forte, Dickerson mentions that “Chicago is not simply going to hand him the job“, which means he’ll face competition from Ka’Deem Carey, Jacquizz Rodgers and rookie Jordan Howard.
- Dickerson believes OL Cody Whitehair is the rookie worth keeping an eye on when it comes to a securing a starting job right out of the game. Other potential day-1 starters for the Bears could include S Deon Bush and DL Jonathan Bullard.
- As for first-round pick Leonard Floyd, Dickerson says that he could begin the year in a situational role.
- According to Dickerson, veteran WR Marc Mariani‘s roster spot could be in jeopardy, due to a logjam at receiver.
- Rob Demovsky writes that the Packers may have to consider keeping seven receivers on their 53-man roster this summer.
- According to Demovsky, Jared Abbrederis is the guy to watch this summer, as he came on for the Packers last year and was “exceptional” in OTAs, according to HC Mike McCarthy.
- Former second-round pick Davonte Adams will face competition for the No. 3 receiver job from Jeff Janis and Ty Montgomery.
- ESPN’s Mike Triplett writes that 2015 first-round pick Andrus Peat is in better shape this summer, but the team still doesn’t know where he’ll line up this year. Peat could end up playing either right tackle or right guard for them in 2016, so he could get an opportunity to beat out Zach Strief for the job.
- No surprise, but Triplett expects first-round pick Sheldon Rankins to play “a ton” with the expectation being that he’ll make a “major impact” in year one.
- According to Triplett, veteran RB C.J. Spiller could be on the chopping block this summer.
- While not surprising, Sheil Kapadia expects the Seahawks to sign a veteran quarterback by the end of August to back up Russell Wilson.
- Kapadia expects first-round pick Germain Ifedi to start at right tackle, especially considering that he lined up their all spring.
- Kapadia could also see second-round pick Jarran Reed starting at nose tackle in year one.
- One veteran could be on the roster bubble, according to Kapadia, is former second-round pick Justin Britt, who is being asked to change positions again, this time lining up as a center.
- In regards to extensions for HC Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider, Kapadia expects both men to receive new deals at some point during training camp.
Tags Andrus Peat C.J. Spiller Cody Whitehair Davonte Adams Deon Bush Germain Ifedi Jacquizz Rodgers Jared Abbrederis Jarran Reed Jeff Janis Jeremy Langford John Schneider Jonathan Bullard Jordan Howard Justin Britt Ka'Deem Carey Leonard Floyd Marc Mariani Mike McCarthy Pete Carroll Sheldon Rankins Ty Montgomery Zach Strief