Cardinals LB Deone Bucannon, who is working his way back from offseason ankle surgery, mentioned that he wants to start for the team Week 1, but still won’t push to get back before he’s really ready to play.
“I want to start the season,” Bucannon said, via AzCardinals.com. “I’m not here to rush anything and I’m not going to put a timetable on it, but at the same time, I want to get out there as quickly as I possibly can. But get out there at 100 percent so I can do the best for the team and not be a liability.
“I want to go out there and make plays,” Bucannon added. “Everybody’s been honestly telling me not to rush, if anything. They know how I am. I want to get out there as soon as possible. I’ll do what I can. There won’t be any excuses on my part.”
Cowboys HC Jason Garrett wouldn’t comment on the altercation RB Ezekiel Elliott was recently involved in, but he stressed that they “believe very strongly” in him as a person and player.
“I don’t want to make any comment on the situation,” Garrett said, via Pro Football Talk. “We’re still gathering information on what that whole situation was. Zeke’s someone we believe very strongly in as a person and as a football player, and we’re going to continue to believe in him and try to put a structure around him and all of our players to help them make great decisions and grow – grow on and off the field.”
Garrett also sidestepped the report that Elliott could face a short suspension for the domestic violence allegations from last year.
“I don’t want to speak to any specific incident, but there’s no question when something happens off the field, we have to address it, and we have to make sure that we’re on top of it, and we understand what happened and get all the information about what happened or what didn’t happen and address it accordingly,” Garrett said, “and hold ourselves and each other accountable to what the standards are. And we’ll continue to do that.”
- Todd Archer points out that if Elliott is suspended, the guaranteed money included in Elliott’s rookie contract would void and he will have to pay back some of his $16.350 million signing bonus.
- Should Elliott be banned two games, he would be looking at $480,884 in lost salary.
Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com offers six Eagles’ players who could be traded before the start of the season.
- Shorr-Parks admits that it’s likely C Jason Kelce will remain with the team, but there’s at least a chance the Eagles could move him if a meets their asking price.
- As for LB Mychal Kendricks, Shorr-Parks doesn’t rule out the possibility of the team releasing him, but he still considers it unlikely with $4.35 million of his salary guaranteed.
- Should a team suffer an injury to an offensive lineman, Shorr-Parks thinks Philadelphia would be willing to trade OL Allen Barbre.
- Eagles DT Beau Allen is entering the final year of his rookie contract and Shorr-Parks writes that he could be a “very attractive” trade option for a team looking to add some defensive tackle depth.
- Shorr-Parks can’t see the Eagles cutting former first-round WR Nelson Agholor, but thinks the Eagles may move him if they get a decent enough offer.
- The same goes for WR Jordan Matthews, according to Shorr-Parks.