Home / Cardinals / NFC Notes: Cardinals, Cowboys, Packers, Panthers
NFC Notes: Cardinals, Cowboys, Packers, Panthers
- Kent Somers of USA Today Sports writes that the Cardinals have a difficult decision to make regarding the contract of FS Tyrann Mathieu, who is set to make $19 million in guaranteed money over the next two years of his deal.
- Somers mentions that Mathieu’s cap number is set to increase by $6 million to $14.1 million for the 2018 season and the Cardinals could ask him to take a pay cut.
- If Mathieu declines to take a pay cut, Somers believes he could be a release candidate.
- Todd Archer of ESPN wonders if the Cowboys will move forward with Rod Smith as Ezekiel Elliott‘s backup in 2018 and look to the later rounds of the draft for another running back.
- Archer suggests signing FB Keith Smith to a multi-year deal, as opposed to extending him a restricted tender that would come with a higher cap figure.
- Archer believes impending free agent Alfred Morris should look for a better opportunity with another team.
- The quarterback position for the Cowboys is worth watching this offseason, according to Archer, as they could either target a veteran back in free agency or draft someone to backup Dak Prescott.
- Rob Demovsky suggests offensive perimeter coach David Raih as someone to keep an eye on for the Packers’ QBs coach job, but adds that Aaron Rodgers may prefer to have someone with NFL playing experience.
- If the Packers keep Edgar Bennett on their staff, Demovsky believes he could be an option for them at WRs coach. In fact, McCarthy didn’t rule out him returning: “Edgar’s situation is still fluid. We’re still in communication there.” (Tom Silverstein)
- The top two internal candidates for the defensive coordinator position are CBs coach Joe Whitt and safeties coach Darren Perry, according to Demovsky. Although, the expectation is that Mike McCarthy will interview other experienced coordinators including Vic Fangio.
- Demovsky says that assistant DL coach Jerry Montgomery could take over fulltime as DL coach.
- Packers worked out CB Ian Wells on Wednesday. (Rob Demovsky)
- According to Rad Berky of WCNC, Brian France, the head of NASCAR, is part of a group that wants to buy the Carolina Panthers with France becoming the new major holder.
- However, a spokesperson for NASCAR denied report and France himself tweeted: “I am not buying the Panthers.“
- Panthers DE Julius Peppers said Thursday that he’s undecided about whether he’ll return for 2018 season. (Steve Reed)
Tags Alfred Morris Brian France Dak Prescott darren perry David Raih Edgar Bennett Ezekiel Elliott Ian Wells Jerry Montgomery julius peppers Keith Smith Mike McCarthy Rod Smith Tyrann Mathieu Vic Fangio