- Eagles HC Doug Pederson told reporters that rookie CB Randall Goforth tore his ACL and will subsequently miss the entire 2017 season. (Jeff McLane)
- Earlier in the week, Tim McManus of ESPN took a look some potential options for the Eagles to consider at the cornerback position.
- McManus lists Kyle Fuller (Bears), Darrelle Revis, Brandon Flowers, Sam Shields and as some names to watch.
- Giants undrafted rookie S Jadar Johnson has left training camp and decided to retire from the NFL. (Mike Garafolo)
Lions HC Jim Caldwell told reporters on Saturday he isn’t worried about his contract status with the team and is instead focused on the upcoming season.
“I’m focused in on football, but I’ll tell you this,” Caldwell said, via ESPN.com. “Not any point in time of my life do I ever remember my life asking me about my contract. If she’s not worried about it…
“I don’t even worry about it,” Caldwell added. “I think I’ve explained pretty well to you guys that there hasn’t been a time in my life, you operate under certain things. You never know. You can have a 15-year contract; it doesn’t mean you’re not going to be fired tomorrow. So you’ve always got to perform. So I never worried about those things. I could care less, to be honest with you. That’s my job. That’s my charge.”
- Caldwell didn’t rule out the possibility of them signing free agent LB Zach Orr, saying: “Never say never.” (Justin Rogers)
- Caldwell added that P Sam Martin is expected to be recovered from his ankle injury in time for training camp. (Kyle Meinke)
- Lions LT Taylor Decker (shoulder) is no longer using his arm sling and is “on track” with his recovery. However, Caldwell did not provide a timetable for his return. (Michael Rothstein)
Vikings second-round RB Dalvin Cook has been flashing a lot of ability in practice up to this point, according to offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur.
“[Cook] tries to make the most of every rep he gets,” Shurmur said, via ESPN.com. “You see him do a lot of things really well, and if he does make a mistake, he’s able to correct it and move on. That’s another sign of being a pro. If you do this long enough or if you run enough plays, you’re going to make a few errors. The key is to correct the error, move on fast and don’t make it again. We’ve seen all those elements to his game, and I think he’s going to have a bright future.”
However, they can’t say the same for free agent addition Latavius Murray.
“I haven’t seen Latavius other than on tape,” HC Mike Zimmer said. “Dalvin has shown a lot of really good things so far. We’ll see.”