Home Lions NFC Notes: Lions, Packers, Seahawks, Vikings
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that future Lions HC Matt Patricia talked with some members of the coaching staff last week and told them they won’t be returning.
- Birkett adds that the expectation right now is that the entire defensive staff will be overhauled.
- The Packers are hiring are hiring Bowling Green safeties coach Ryan Downard, according to Tom Silverstein.
- Downard previously worked as a defensive assistant for new Packers DC Mike Pettine while they were together in Cleveland.
- Alex Marvez reports that the Packers are moving Jason Simmons to assistant DBs coach from assistant special teams coach.
- Jason La Canfora clarifies that Simmons is actually the Packers’ new secondary coach.
- Alex Marvez reports that the Seahawks are expected to name Dave Canales new QBs coach after recently serving as their WRs coach.
- Bob Condotta hears that the Seahawks’ decision to move Canales to QBs coach is not official yet but could happen. Even so, new OC Brian Schottenheimer is expected to have big role with QBs as well.
- Condotta adds that this doesn’t mean Carl Smith will be fired, but he will likely be move to a different role.
- The Seahawks announced Monday that have mutually parted ways with senior defensive assistant Travis Jones.
- Free agent QB Case Keenum said he has great respect for the Vikings’ organization but would not go so far as to say they are his top priority to re sign with this offseason. (Chris Tomasson)
- Vikings RB Jerick McKinnon told reporters on Monday that while he appreciated his role this season, he plans to test to free agency and hopefully get a shot at being a featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” (Chris Hine)
- Vikings RB Dalvin Cook (ACL) said Monday that he has resumed jogging but doesn’t have a set plan for returning to football activities. (Kevin Seifert)
- We have Keenum and McKinnon featured in our Top 100 – 2018 NFL Free Agents list.