Home 49ers NFC Rumors: Jordy Nelson, Bears, Packers, Vikings
- Jordan Schultz reports that Jordy Nelson is already generating interest from the Patriots, Raiders, Ravens, Seahawks and 49ers.
- Schultz adds that he wouldn’t be surprised if the Cowboys and Eagles made a run at Nelson either.
- Nelson reported knew he was being released and that he was already targeting the Patriots as a potential landing spot, according to Schultz.
- According to Evan Massey, the Seahawks and Ravens appear to be the most aggressive teams in pursuit of Nelson. Massey adds that the 49ers have expressed “strong interest” as well.
- Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said of the decision to release veteran WR Jordy Nelson: “You certainly don’t want to let [good players] walk out of here, but this is a big puzzle. There are limitations, and you can’t keep everyone. He’s a good player, and those shoes will be hard to fil, but we’re going to work really hard to do that.” (Rob Demovsky)
- Regarding whether he saw a decline in Nelson following the torn ACL, Gutekunst said: “I think it’s only natural as players get older, you see some physical decline. But I think Jordy is a very good player. He’ll contribute for somebody next year.” (Ryan Wood)
- According to Gutekunst, the Packers have not heard a decision regarding their appeal over they lost the Martellus Bennett grievance. (Rob Demovsky)
- Gutekunst would not say whether Nelson was given the opportunity to take a pay cut before he was released on Tuesday, but he added that he doesn’t expect the Packers to sign Nelson for less money. (Ryan Wood)
- Jason Wilde reports that the Packers did offer Nelson the opportunity to come back at a significantly lower salary, but it wasn’t much more than the 10-year veteran minimum.
- Gutekunst said it isn’t “imperative” for them to sign a free agent cornerback, but it’s something the Packers are focused on as free agency opens on Wednesday. (Ryan Wood)
- Tom Silverstein reports that the Packers were never in the running to sign CB Trumaine Johnson and that his contract figure was “way beyond their means.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Packers approached veteran WR Randall Cobb about a possible contract extension but they’re keeping his contract as is for now.
- The Packers have tendered exclusive rights free agent OL Adam Pankey a contract. (Rob Demovsky)
- According to Darren Wolfson, the Vikings have free agent CB Ross Cockrell on their radar, but the Giants would still like to re-sign him.
- According to Chris Tomasson, the Vikings have shown “preliminary interest” in Buccaneers’ free-agent G Kevin Pamphile. However, Tomasson writes that team “definitely” wants to re-sign G Joe Berger and they are still figuring out their approach to free agency.
- Tomasson reports that Vikings TE Blake Bell (shoulder) should be able to participate on a limited basis during spring practices.
- Tomasson adds that it is “unclear” whether the team will look to sign another tight end through free agency.