Home / 49ers / NFC Rumors: Jordy Nelson, Bears, Packers, Vikings
NFC Rumors: Jordy Nelson, Bears, Packers, Vikings
- Jordan Schultz reports that Jordy Nelson is already generating interest from the Patriots, Raiders, Ravens, Seahawks and 49ers.
- Schultz adds that he wouldn’t be surprised if the Cowboys and Eagles made a run at Nelson either.
- Nelson reported knew he was being released and that he was already targeting the Patriots as a potential landing spot, according to Schultz.
- According to Evan Massey, the Seahawks and Ravens appear to be the most aggressive teams in pursuit of Nelson. Massey adds that the 49ers have expressed “strong interest” as well.
- Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said of the decision to release veteran WR Jordy Nelson: “You certainly don’t want to let [good players] walk out of here, but this is a big puzzle. There are limitations, and you can’t keep everyone. He’s a good player, and those shoes will be hard to fil, but we’re going to work really hard to do that.” (Rob Demovsky)
- Regarding whether he saw a decline in Nelson following the torn ACL, Gutekunst said: “I think it’s only natural as players get older, you see some physical decline. But I think Jordy is a very good player. He’ll contribute for somebody next year.” (Ryan Wood)
- According to Gutekunst, the Packers have not heard a decision regarding their appeal over they lost the Martellus Bennett grievance. (Rob Demovsky)
- Gutekunst would not say whether Nelson was given the opportunity to take a pay cut before he was released on Tuesday, but he added that he doesn’t expect the Packers to sign Nelson for less money. (Ryan Wood)
- Jason Wilde reports that the Packers did offer Nelson the opportunity to come back at a significantly lower salary, but it wasn’t much more than the 10-year veteran minimum.
- Gutekunst said it isn’t “imperative” for them to sign a free agent cornerback, but it’s something the Packers are focused on as free agency opens on Wednesday. (Ryan Wood)
- Tom Silverstein reports that the Packers were never in the running to sign CB Trumaine Johnson and that his contract figure was “way beyond their means.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Packers approached veteran WR Randall Cobb about a possible contract extension but they’re keeping his contract as is for now.
- The Packers have tendered exclusive rights free agent OL Adam Pankey a contract. (Rob Demovsky)
- According to Darren Wolfson, the Vikings have free agent CB Ross Cockrell on their radar, but the Giants would still like to re-sign him.
- According to Chris Tomasson, the Vikings have shown “preliminary interest” in Buccaneers’ free-agent G Kevin Pamphile. However, Tomasson writes that team “definitely” wants to re-sign G Joe Berger and they are still figuring out their approach to free agency.
- Tomasson reports that Vikings TE Blake Bell (shoulder) should be able to participate on a limited basis during spring practices.
- Tomasson adds that it is “unclear” whether the team will look to sign another tight end through free agency.
Tags Adam Pankey Blake Bell Brian Gutekunst Dion Sims Joe Berger Jordy Nelson Kevin Pamphile Martellus Bennett Randall Cobb Ross Cockrell Trumaine Johnson