49ers HC Kyle Shanahan explained why they haven’t considered re-signing QB Colin Kaepernick.
“I made that decision (to not pursue Kaepernick) because of the style of offense we wanted to go with,” Shanahan said. “That’s kind of what I said last year. It’s the same situation now. I always look into what style of offense I want to do, what style of offense we’ve been doing for the last two years.
“When you start to get to these quarterbacks we’re talking about, C.J.’s our guy and we have Nick Mullens backing him up. When you get into a third or fourth guy, whoever that is, you’d like to bring in guys who you felt you didn’t have to change much of your offense for.”
- The 49ers are expected to be without CB Richard Sherman for a few weeks while he deals with a calf injury. (NFLTR)
- Joel Corry points out that Sherman’s incentive-based contract with the 49ers could end up costing him $125,000 for each game he misses with the calf strain and probably eliminates the $1 million in incentives for play 90 percent or more of the team’s defensive snaps.
- A report surfaced that Rams LT Andrew Whitworth recently underwent knee surgery. However, Whitworth tells Jay Glazer that he did not have knee surgery.
- Rams HC Sean McVay said that Rams CB Aqib Talib (ankle) will probably need surgery, but he’s getting a second opinion.
Seahawks S Earl Thomas told reporters after the game that his decision to sit out of two practices last week simply came down to him making sure he’s 100 percent healthy.
“I need to make sure my body is 100,” Thomas said, via ESPN.com. “I’m invested in myself. If they was invested in me, I would be out there practicing. But if I feel like anything — I don’t give a damn if it’s small, I’ve got a headache — I’m not practicing. But I don’t want that to be taken the wrong way. I know I’m going to get fined. But that’s just where I’m at with that.”
- On Monday, Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said of Thomas: “It’s a unique situation with a guy with really sincere concerns about his future and I totally respect that.” (Bob Condotta)
- Carroll mentioned that they don’t know if they’ll have LB Mychal Kendricks available this week, implying that a suspension could be coming. (Bob Condotta)
- Carroll said that C Justin Britt should be fine this week. (Curtis Crabtree)
- When asked if they could still discuss an extension with Thomas, Carroll sais that everything is possible. (Bob Condotta)