Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland isn’t “isn’t totally in love” with the idea of drafting Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson, even at No. 12 overall.
- Ireland reportedly “likes” Johnson, but has questions regarding his overall game.
- Ireland also sees some concerns as to how Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes would fit into their defensive scheme.
- Salguero adds that West Virginia WR Tavon Austin is another player that the team isn’t all that high on.
Salguero lists: Texas S Kenny Vaccaro, Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson, UNC DT Sylvester Williams, Houston CB D.J. Hayden and Notre Dame LB Manti Te’o as players who the Dolphins do like.
The only problem is that many expect these players to be available later in first-round and the Dolphins are on the clock at No. 12 overall. Ireland is reportedly “loves” Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel and Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher, so it’s always possible that they could move to secure one of these two players.
Tony Pauline of TFY Draft Insider reports that multiple sources have informed him that the Browns are targeting Alabama CB Dee Milliner at No. 6 overall.
- Pauline adds that Cleveland would still prefer to trade back in hopes of taking LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo later.
Cleveland is actually in a pretty decent spot to move down given that the top-three offensive tackles continue to rise up draft boards and there are reportedly a number of teams interested in them. On top of that, Arizona is sitting at No. 7 overall, so it’s doubtful that they would pass on a left tackle.
Jason La Canfora reports that a few NFL executives believe the Jets could target West Virginia QB Geno Smith and Tavon Austin if they’re able to reach an agreement on a trade that would send CB Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay for the No. 13 overall pick.
Many expect Smith to be a top-10 pick, so there’s no guarantee that he’ll be available to them at No. 9, but it’s at least an interesting idea that the Jets could end up with both West Virginia players.
Jason Cole mentioned that a trade for Revis would likely have to take place in the near future given that the Buccaneers would want to examine his knee before sending a package of draft picks to the Jets.
We should know more about this situation and if the Jets will have multiple first-round picks at their disposal in the coming days.
Tony Pauline of TFY Draft Insider reports that the separate sources have informed him that the Cardinals will consider Alabama OT D.J. Fluker at No. 7 overall.
- Pauline mentions that Fluker’s body type, power and football ability have NFL teams “excited.”
- Pauline doesn’t see Fluker getting out of the first half of round one.
Jason La Canfora reported on Thursday that the Cardinals are “high” on Fluker as well.
NFL Draft Notes:
- Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson could be a top-five pick. (Tony Pauline)
- Kansas State LB Arthur Brown is a “definite first round pick.” (Tony Pauline)
- The Jets are reportedly “very high” on UConn LB Sio Moore, who could be a Top 50 pick. (Tony Pauline)
- It’s still possible that the Jaguars could draft an offensive tackle at No. 2 pick overall. (Florida Times Union)
- Lions GM Martin Mayhew mentioned that he “couldn’t find anybody to say anything negative about” Notre Dame LB Manti Te’o during his visit. (MLive.com)
- Georgia LB Alec Ogletree could be “tempting” to the Rams if Tavon Austin and Cordarrelle Patterson are gone by No. 16. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)