Fresno State QB Derek Carr has really been the bigger thus far for quarterback prospects.
“Derek Carr has clearly separated himself as the top passer in Mobile with his top-shelf arm strength, athleticism and overall feel for the game,” Dane Burgler writes. “He hasn’t been perfect and needs to iron out a few of his bad habits, but the arm talent and competitive drive are there for him to be a starter in the league.”
As things stand right now, it appears as though Carr has done enough to justify being a first-round selection this May. Peter Schrager mentions that Carr “belongs in Bortles-Bridgewater-Manziel conversation.”
Auburn LB Dee Ford has put together back-to-back solid practices this week and has done as much for his draft stock as anyone in Mobile.
Even Jaguars HC Gus Bradley spoke highly of him and his performance on Tuesday.
“Dee is exciting,” Bradley said, via Mocking The Draft. “I really like his personality, I like his spirit, h loves the game and he showcases that on the practice field. Anytime a guy can come off the edge and show the ability to have some rushes in him, it really stands out.”
Ford took advantage of North Dakota State’s Billy Turner and Vanderbilt’s Wesley Johnson on Tuesday and will remain one of the most watched players throughout the week.
Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball.com reports that Falcons’ sources mentioned that HC Mike Smith enters the 2014 season on a “warm seat.“
Campbell adds that his sources wouldn’t go as far to say that Smith is “on a full blown hot seat,” but there it’s at least getting “warmer.”
Smith reportedly understands the situation has been accountable for the team’s awful 2013 season that produced a top-10 selection.
- The Raiders have reportedly shown more interest in Clemson QB Tajh Boyd than any team this week. (San Francisco Chronicle)
- Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff was reportedly keeping an eye on Miami OT Seantrel Henderson and UNC DE Kareem Martin during Monday’s practice. (Dan Kadar)
- Eagles had three scouts talking with Washington State S Deone Bucannon after practice. (Dan Kadar)
- Bucannon also spoke with the Broncos and Chargers on Tuesday. (Dan Kadar)
- The Ravens reportedly spent a “lot of time” with Wisconsin LB Chris Borland. (Dan Kadar)
- A Saints scout spent a good portion of Tuesday’s post-practice session with Louisville OLB Marcus Smith. (Dan Kadar)
- The Chiefs scouts were reportedly “paying a lot of attention to wide receivers” and “praising bigger bodied guys.” (Matt Miller)
- Steelers HC Mike Tomlin was reportedly watching CBs and WRs on Tuesday. (Dan Kadar)
- Georgia Tech LB Jeremiah Attaochu had meetings with the Eagles and Colts. (Dan Kadar)
- Lions were seen speaking with Oklahoma WR Jalen Saunders. (Dan Kadar)
- A Jadeveon Clowney–J.J. Watt combination is “quite possible.” (Peter Schrager)
- Eagles met with Auburn DE/LB Dee Ford. (Shane Hallam)
- Redskins met with Utah CB Keith McGill. (Shane Hallam)
- Broncos met with Florida State S Terrence Brooks. (Shane Hallam)
- Saints met with Ryan Grant, Chris Davis. (Shane Hallam)
- Ravens met with Mike Davis, Chris Smith. (Shane Hallam)
- Chargers met with Gabe Ikard, Jon Halapio. (Shane Hallam)
- Cardinals met with Craig Loston. (Shane Hallam)
NFL Draft Notes:
- South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney is the “big talk among executives.” (Peter Schrager)
- Minnesota DE Ra’Shede Hageman is a “no brainer first round pick.” (Peter Schrager)
- Dane Brugler believes Notre Dame OL Zack Martin is the best player at the Senior Bowl.
- Clemson QB Tajh Boyd looked “better today but still no more than a last day pick.” (Tony Pauline)
- Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas “looked awful” on Tuesday. (Tony Pauline)
- Florida CB Jaylen Watkins is “one of the better players here that isn’t talked about much.” (Dane Brugler)
- One scout believes that Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews is an “early second round” pick. (Peter Schrager)
- Missouri DE/OLB Michael Sam was great in drills while playing DE, but is struggling to make the transition to OLB. (Tony Pauline)
- Dan Kadar mentions that “it’s hard to see a team spending a pick on the first two days of the draft on [Sam].”
- Dane Brugler mentions that NFL scouts and coaches were not speaking highly of the North QBs.
- E. Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo and Fresno State QB Derek Carr “looked sharp.” (Dane Brugler)
- Mike Mayock mentioned that Utah CB Keith McGill looked like a “combination of Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman.” (CFB24/7)
- Iowa OLB Christian Kirksey “made a splash play today.” (Josh Norris)