Home / Colts / NFL News & Rumors: Manning, Okung, Vick, Saints
NFL News & Rumors: Manning, Okung, Vick, Saints
- ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Peyton Manning‘s agent, Tom Condon, told Indianapolis Colts president that plan to put off contract negotiations until after the season. Condon went on to mention that there have been “zero negotiations” between the two sides and mentioned that Manning doesn’t want there to be any distractions during the season. The Colts will no doubt franchise Manning if there isn’t a new deal in place before the 2011 season starts. The franchise tag will likely cost the team around $24 million for next season.
- Seattle Seahawks first-round pick Russell Okung left Sunday’s game with another ankle injury. Head coach Pete Carroll mentioned that the injury isn’t as bad as the injury to his right-ankle that he suffered earlier in the season. Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times says that he doesn’t expect to see he Okung on the field for “at least a few weeks.”
- Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid announced that the Michael Vick will be the teams starting quarterback for week 9’s game against Indianapolis, per Teresa Walker of the Associated Press. Vick was listed as the teams No. 3 quarterback today but was inactive.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers defense was dealt another big blow on Sunday with the loss of DE Aaron Smith for the remainder of the season due to a torn triceps injury, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Steelers linebacker James Farrior referred to Smith’s injury as “devastating” and “heartbreaking.”
- FoxSports’s Jay Glazer tweeted that the New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton is frustrated with Pierre Thomas’s absence and has been impressed with Chris Ivory’s play leading up to Sunday’s game. Ivory wasn’t able to produce the big game as he did last week and wound up tallying 48 yards on fifteen carries. Payton’s frustration could cut into the amount of carries for Thomas as he gets healthy in the coming weeks.
Tags Aaron Smith Chris Ivory Michael Vick Peyton Manning Pierre Thomas Russell Okung Sean Payton