NFL News & Rumors: Thursday 2/14
- South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney is seeking an insurance policy to protect against a potential injury next year. (FOX Sports)
- Mel Kiper mentioned that Brandon Weeden may have been the No. 1 quarterback in this draft class. (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
- NC State QB Mike Glennon will reportedly throw at next week’s Scouting Combine. (ESPN.com)
- Mel Kiper mentioned that Notre Dame ILB Manti Te’o could be a top-10 pick with a solid forty time. (Dan Kadar)
- Mel Kiper believes there’s a chance Michigan WR Denard Robinson could be taken in third-round. (Dan Kadar)
- Daniel Jeremiah writes that Purdue DT Kawann Short is “very likely” to be taken in the mid-to-late portion of the first-round. (NFL.com)
- Ohio State DT Johnathan Hankins could fall into the first-half of the second round. (NFL.com)
- Mike Mayock mentioned that he has a “hard time buying” West Virginia QB Geno Smith being taken No. 1 overall. (Rich Eisen Podcast)
- Mike Mayock mentioned that Alabama G Chance Warmack as being the “best player [he’s] seen on tape.” (Rich Eisen Podcast)
- Buffalo could save $4.9 million by releasing DE Chris Kelsay this offseason. (Buffalo News)
- Bills release CB Terrence McGee.
- Bills sign QB Aaron Corp and OT Hutch Eckerson to reserve/future contracts.
- WR Robert Meachem‘s 2013 salary of $5 million is fully guaranteed. Releasing him would increase his cap figure to $10.625 million. (Chris Wesseling)
- Contract talks between the Dolphins and WR Brian Hartline haven’t started yet. Both sides are open to an extension. (Palm Beach Post)
- The Giants are expected to tender RFA S Stevie Brown in the event that they’re unable to reach an agreement on a long-term deal. (ESPN New York)
- Panthers renegotiated Jonathan Stewart‘s contract in January. Stewart’s base salary of $1 million was lowered to $715,000 next season and he received a $2.5 million signing bonus as a result. (Yahoo Sports)
- Carolina could save Panthers could add $3.4 million in salary cap space if they were to release RB DeAngelo Williams after June 1. This would, however, create $6 million in “dead money” in 2014. (ESPN.com)
- Panthers signed WR James Shaw.
- Redskins officials are reportedly “encouraged” by Robert Griffin III‘s recovery from knee surgery thus far that they believe he has a “legitimate chance” of being ready for Week 1. (Adam Schefter)
- Redskins signed DT Ron Brace.
- The Vikings made some minimal adjustments to their logo. (Vikings.com)
Tags Aaron Corp Brandon Weeden Brian Hartline Chance Warmack Chris Kelsay Darrelle Revis Darren McFadden Darrius Heyward-Bey Dave Tollefson DeAngelo Williams DeMeco Ryans Denard Robinson Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Donnie Avery Eric Olsen Fletcher Cox Geno Smith Hutch Eckers Jadeveon Clowney James Shaw Johnathan Hankins Jonathan Stewart Kawann Short Keenan Lewis Manti Te'o Marcel Reece Mason Foster Michael Higgins Michael Turner Mike Brisiel Mike Glennon Mychal Kendricks Ndamukong Suh Nnamdi Asomugha Peter Konz Rafael Bush Robert Griffin III Robert Meachem Ron Brace Terrence McGee Todd McClure Tracy Porter Willie Smith