Home / 49ers / NFL News & Rumors: Thursday 2/21
NFL News & Rumors: Thursday 2/21
There’s a lot of news and rumors circulating around due to the NFL Combine, so we’ll be updating this post throughout the day. Check in for the last updates.
- Georgia LB Jarvis Jones will not work out at this year’s NFL Combine and instead focus on his Pro Day. (Adam Schefter)
- Alabama CB Dee Milliner will undergo surgery following the Scouting Combine to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. (ESPN.com)
- Alabama OT D.J. Fluker has dropped 16 pounds since the Senior Bowl and weighed in at 339 pounds on Thursday. This could boast his draft stock a bit. (Daniel Jeremiah)
- Short arms could be an issue for Stanford TE Zach Ertz. (CBS Sports)
- North Carolina G Jonathan Cooper measured 6-foot-2 1/8 and 311 pounds, which could be an indication that he may play center at the next level.
- There’s been a lot of buzz surrounding Duke QB Sean Renfree as a potential sleeper in this year’s draft.
- “Rumors persist” that Florida State DE Tank Carradine will be able to work out for NFL teams before the draft. (National Football Post)
- GM Trent Baalke mentioned that 2012 first-round pick WR A.J. Jenkins didn’t see a lot of playing time due to the fact that he didn’t know the team’s offense. (Sacramento Bee)
- The Chicago Bears could target LT Jermon Bushrod during free agency. (NFLTR)
- New HC Marc Trestman mentioned that the evaluation of free agent Brian Urlacher is an “ongoing process.” (Jeff Dickerson)
- GM Phil Emery told reporters on Thursday that Shea McClellin will stay at defensive end. (Brad Biggs)
- GM Phil Emery mentioned free agent G Lance Louis is progressing well following ACL surgery.
- GM Phil Emery indicated that they may consider re-signing OT Jonathan Scott this offseason. (Chicago Tribune)
- President Russ Brandon mentioned that they intend to use the franchise tag as a last resort. Jarius Byrd figures to be the most likely candidate for the designation. (Tim Graham)
- There appears to be a growing sense that the Bills will not be able to retain free agent G Andy Levitre. (NFLTR)
- Buffalo has yet to approach QB Ryan Fitzpatrick about restructuring his contract. (Buffalo News)
- GM Buddy Nix mentioned that they would like keep free agent CB/KR Leodis McKelvin. (BuffaloBills.com)
- HC Greg Schiano mentioned that they’ve yet contact free agent FS Ronde Barber about returning next season.
- GM Jeff Ireland “indicated” that they’ve already decided on who will be franchised in the next few days. (Gregg Rosenthal)
- GM Jeff Ireland mentioned that he “certainly would” envision Reggie Bush having a role in their offense next season. (Palm Beach Post)
- GM Jeff Ireland referred to re-signing free agent DT Randy Starks as a priority. (Palm Beach Post)
- The Lions are expected to restructure the contract of WR Nate Burleson to free up some extra cap space. (Dave Birkett)
- CB Alfonzo Dennard is unlikely to face a suspension from the league because the incident took place before he was an NFL player. (Boston Globe)
- GM Ruston Webster told reporters that they will retain free agent TE Jared Cook this offseason. Franchise tag seems more likely than a long-term deal. (Terry McCormick)
- GM Ruston Webster m mentioned that they want to “improve our OL and overall defensively” this offseason. Webster added he’s not opposed to drafting G in first-round. (Rob Rang)
- The Titans plan to tender an offer to restricted free agent C Fernando Velasco. (Nashville Tennessean)
Tags A.J. Jenkins Alex Smith Alfonzo Dennard Andy Levitre Brian Urlacher Cary Williams Charlie Johnson D.J. Fluker Dannell Ellerbe Dee Milliner Derek Cox Doug Free Dwan Edwards Felix Jones Fernando Velasco Jared Cook Jarius Byrd Jarvis Jones jason peters Jermon Bushrod Joe Thomas Jonathan Cooper Jonathan Scott Josh Cribbs Kevin Williams Lance Louis Leodis McKelvin Marc Trestman Matt Flynn Nate Burleson Peyton Manning Phil Loadholt Randy Starks Rashard Mendenhall Reggie Bush Ronde Barber Ryan Clady Ryan Fitzpatrick Sean Renfree Steve Breaston Steven Jackson Tank Carradine Terrance Ganaway Tony Romo Zach Ertz