Home / 49ers / NFL Notes: 49ers, Giants, Packers, Steelers, & Texans
NFL Notes: 49ers, Giants, Packers, Steelers, & Texans
- 49ers CEO Jed York said during new HC Chip Kelly‘s introductory press conference that it was “clear” to both he and Trent Baalke that Chip’s vision was above the rest. (Eric Branch)
- Kelly says that he has met with QB Colin Kaepernick since being hired by the 49ers. (Eliot Shorr-Parks)
- Kelly mentioned that it’s an “ongoing process and evaluation” in regards to Kaepernick and Blaine Gabbert, adding, “we have a lot of time.” (Jason La Canfora)
- Kelly says he’s been self-scouting himself in Philadelphia and he’s “in the middle of the autopsy right now” dissecting what went wrong. (Jason La Canfora)
- Kelly has received text messages and calls from players when he was fired and feels “very comfortable” with his relationship with the players. (Zach Berman)
- Kelly believes the team will retain running backs coach Tom Rathman and hopes to have his staff in place by next week; interviews are ongoing. (Aaron Wilson)
- 49ers GM Trent Baalke has control of the 53 man roster and he’s “comfortable” with that. (Mike Garafolo)
- Baalke says that everything is under evaluation and they’re going to take a hard look at the roster, in regards to Kaepernick’s April 1st contract date. (Cam Inman)
- Paul Schwartz reports it seems that Giants HC Ben McAdoo is retaining several assistants from Tom Coughlin‘s staff including DC Steve Spagnuolo, OC Mike Sullivan, STC Tom Quinn, tight ends coach Kevin Gilbride, running backs coach Craig Johnson, cornerbacks coach Tim Walton, and safeties coach David Merritt.
- Rob Demovsky reports that Packers DT B.J. Raji and Letroy Guion benefited greatly this year from the per-game roster bonus earning $937,000 for 15 games and $934,375 for 13 games respectively.
- The Packers paid out a total of $6,356,875 in weekly roster bonuses this year to 15 players
- Steelers HC Mike Tomlin says he’s not confident benched CB Cortez Allen, who will count $5.75 million against the cap in 2016, can be an impact player. (Gerry Dulac)
- Aaron Wilson reports that Texans rookie CB Kevin Johnson is having foot surgery in Charlotte Wednesday to repair a Jones fracture he played through for the last month.
Tags B.J. Raji Blaine Gabbert Chip Kelly Colin Kaepernick Cortez Allen Craig Johnson David Merritt Kevin Gilbride Kevin Johnson Letroy Guion Mike Sullivan Steve Spagnuolo Tim Walton Tom Quinn Tom Rathman