- Sources tell John Middlekauff that expect Tom Gamble to return to the 49ers in a role that he has already discussed with GM Trent Baalke
- Brad Biggs reports that the Bears have hired Frank Smith as their tight ends coach.
- John McClain reports that Texans DL coach Bill Kollar is taking the same job with the Broncos.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN reports that the Jets are hiring former Rams scout Brian Heimerdinger in a front-office role.
- Saints owner Tom Benson is being sued by his daughter and grandchildren following his announcement to change his succession plan for the franchise.
“I am extremely disappointed by the lawsuit filed against me today by my daughter and two grandchildren,” Tom Benson said in a statement released Thursday night, via New Orleans Times-Picayune. “Their allegations regarding my mental health are completely meritless and their allegations against my wife equally unfounded. I will vigorously defend my decisions and the businesses I have built. The false accusations in this suit further support the actions I have taken in changing the succession and transfer of ownership. …
“Make no mistake, I will be back in the office tomorrow morning working hard, as I do every day, to ensure that the Saints and Pelicans are positioned for long-term success. This State, City and our great fans deserve that. I have instructed my staff to have no comment on this lawsuit moving forward.”